Whether reading, cooking or playing board games, proper lighting counts unless you want to squint, reach for pepper rather than paprika, or count the dice roll wrong and cash in all your chips. The secret to lighting your home right in any circumstance?
A strategy that mixes three types of illumination for a layered look that’s practical, pretty and mood-making.
Ambient lighting (or general lighting) creates the foundation for illumination that every room needs, so start with it whether you’re building, remodeling or updating your home. Designed to deliver a broad amount of diffused light that’s bright enough for basic functions or navigation, you’ll find it in recessed lights, track lighting, flush or semi-flush mount fixtures, and even ceiling fans with lights.
In this inviting and functional mudroom, the Kona Cay ceiling light emits a soft, warm glow that also created a beautiful lighting effect. For extra illumination, add downlights and tape lighting and complete the look.
Task lighting is the second layer. Pendant lights, under cabinet lights and sconces deliver light in a concentrated form where it is needed most—onto areas where tasks take place.
In most homes, the kitchen island is a hub of activity. By adding a duo of Lakum pendants this island now receives enough light for everything from food prep to homework to take place there. And the room gets a modern farmhouse vibe from exposed beames and edison bulbs in the Lucien chandelier over the breakfast nook. Under cabinet lighting transforms shadowy counters into well-lit, functional work spaces where it’s both convenient and safe to chop and slice while cooking. Layer in LED tape to cook up a look that’s dramatic from dusk to dawn.
Place lighting on each side of the mirror and you’ll be surprised at just how much better you’ll see during daily grooming. And here’s a tip. Sconces, like this industrial-inspired one called Talland deliver more concentrated light than most because they have a clear glass shade.
Accent lighting is the third and final layer. Like jewelry, it adds the finishing touch. And a bit of wow.
This chic living room put the accent on clean, mid-century silhouettes from the top down. Its vintage brilliance, showcasing clear optical crystals that are reminiscent of antique jewelry. The Arabella illuminates from within – delivering a stunning effect of lighting as it casts LED light from above and below the fixture. A true beauty.
In this great room, the full effect of layered lighting is clearly seen. By mixing ambient, task and accent lighting in just the right places, it’s now a place that welcomes all who enter with open arms and makes them want to stay—which is the true secret to lighting your home right.
By Carla Jordan
For more ideas, check out our Light Layering Guide
- All Blog Posts
- Warm Finishes, a Welcoming Trend
- Curating a Vintage Look for the Home
- Getting to Know Cottagecore
- Design Styles Making a Statement in 2022
- Trends on the Rise in 2022
- Endless Styles of White Finishes
- Vintage Style
- Scandinavian Style
- Black Finishes
- Gold Finishes
- Ask a Pro: Landscape Contractor
- Ask a Pro: Airbnb Host and Real Estate Agent
- Get the Global Look
- Emerging Style Trends
- Bedroom Ideas for Kids
- Luxe Kitchens to Love
- A Luxe Look in the Bathroom
- Spruce Up for the Holidays
- Retro Living
- Maximizing your Minimalist Design
- The Importance of Lighting in a Home
- Mother's Day Home Spa
- The Layered Look
- Crafting the Perfect Craft Room
- Design Report: IBS 2020, The Handmade Home
- Soft Contemporary
- 70's Glam
- Behr Color of the Year 2020
- Ashley Wilson's Favorite Fixtures
- Sleep Retreats for Holiday Guests
- Holiday Lighting Effects
- Dual Finishes
- Small Changes that Make a Big Difference
- Master your Mudroom
- 4 Outdoor Lighting Tasks To Tackle This Fall
- Before and After: A Drab Kitchen Brought to Light
- Getting your Outdoor Space Party Ready
- Summer Makeovers by Kichler®
- Keep Your Cool All Summer Long
- The Modern Victorian Style
- More Ways to Farmhouse
- Kichler Employee Profiles: Jennifer Burke