How to Install a Sconce?
Let your home shine bright with stunning sconces that are designed to brilliantly light your way. But what’s the use of the beautiful sconce if it's just sitting in the box? Learn how to install a sconce so it can highlight the best parts of your life and home.
Quick tip before you start
Never attempt any work without shutting off the electricity at the main circuit breaker panel or main fuse box. Make sure it stays off until all the work is done.
Now, let’s get started:
- At the center of the back pan of your sconce, you’ll find slots that can be knocked out or pushed through. Remove the set that matches your exposed outlet box and attaches the pan to the outlet box.
Ground the electrical wires using the appropriate instructions below.
Fixtures with a mounting strap and a hole with two raised dimples:
Wrap ground wire from outlet box around the green ground screw and thread into the hole.
Fixtures where a cupped washer is provided
Attach ground wire from outlet box under the cupped washer and the green ground screw and thread into mounting strap.
After following the steps above, if the fixture comes with a ground wire, connect the ground wire to the outlet box. Never connect a ground wire to black or white power supply wires.
Make remaining wire connections (connectors not provided) See the chart below for correct connections and wire accordingly.
Once everything is wired, push the fixture towards the wall and align the holes on the top and bottom of the canopy. Make sure the holes are on the top and bottom edge of the back panel.
- Thread the screws through the holes on the top and bottom of the canopy and into the holes on the back panel. Tighten screws to secure fixture in place. (It’s important to note that sconces vary slightly on assembly and mounting based on style of sconce.)
If applicable, lower or raise the shade (if one is included) down over the top of the candle cover.
And finally, the most important step of all is to enjoy the light and beauty your new sconces bring to your home.
Ready to find your fixture?
- Indoor Lighting Guide
- Dining Room Planning and Selecting Tips
- Kitchen Planning and Selecting Tips
- Power Supply Planning 101
- Living Room Planning and Selecting Tips
- Home Gym Lighting Tips
- Lighting Unique Spaces
- Mix and Match Indoor Décor
- Pendant Planning and Selecting Tips
- Home Office Lighting Tips
- Downlight & Recessed Placement Tips
- Lighting for Wellness
- Closet Lighting Tips
- Sconce Installation Guide
- Lighting Glossary
- Unique Lighting Applications
- Bathroom Lighting Planning and Selecting Tips
- Chandelier Installation Guide
- Chandelier Planning and Selecting Tips
- Indoor Lighting Planning and Selecting Tips
- Light Layering
- Cleaning and Maintenance
- Choosing The Right Color Temperature
- Why Lighting Systems
- Project Planning Cabinet Lighting
- Installing Cabinet Lighting
- Tape and Channels - Tips To Major Renovation
- Installation Planning for Tape Lighting With Channels
- Small Space Solutions
- Open Floor Plan