August 28, 2019
By Carla Jordan
Up and down the streets of every neighborhood, the summer entertaining scene is coming to an end. Now’s the time to take the party outside, before fall sweeps in. Whether you’re planning a casual cook-out, an impromptu pool party or a swanky starry night soiree, here’s how to make your outdoor living space the life of the party this holiday weekend.
Get Comfortable...Really Comfortable
We’ve all been to parties where there’s either no place to sit or you wind up perched on a cooler or in a rickety lawn chair. A better solution? A gorgeous outdoor room like this, divided into two conversation zones, and with ample space for guests to mingle and move around. In the lounge area, plush cushions and pillows transform wicker sofas and chairs into soft landing spots. Canfield Climates outdoor ceiling fans cast a gentle breeze downward while adding a tropical touch that stylistically syncs with the veranda’s most dominant architectural element—a West Indies-inspired coffered ceiling. And then there’s the dining area. Positioned at the far end of the space, it draws attention out toward the gorgeous view.
Comfort also applies to the well-being of your guests. Help everyone (and yourself) stay hydrated in the sun by making sure guests have water and snacks easily accessible. And wine is never a bad idea when it comes to outdoor parties.
Be Sensible, But Stylish
Instead of paper plates and foam cups, opt for chic acrylic wine classes. They’re stronger, reusable and available in lots of trendy colors, shapes, and sizes.
When planning the menu, invite your inner Martha Stewart to chill out. Pick recipes that are quick and simple to prepare, plus one wow element—like a show-stopper dessert. Set up self-serve food and beverage stations in a couple of areas of the yard. This will enable the party to run itself with periodic restocking, so can you relax and have fun, too.
Make a Mood and Sync to it
If you have an outdoor kitchen, light it right for nighttime use. Outdoor LED pendant lights, like Argyle, add a rustic-chic touch while making food prep and cooking possible when the sun goes down. Under counter lighting illuminates this stacked stone island dramatically while helping guests navigate through the space with ease.
Create a custom playlist and stream it through a portable Bluetooth® LED lantern anywhere in the yard. For dinner beneath the stars, string music sets a classic tone. Make a poolside splash with some upbeat Beach Boys tunes. For picnics and barbecues, go country.
Tips like these will make your yard the life of the party
Need some more inspiration?
- All Blog Posts
- Warm Finishes, a Welcoming Trend
- Curating a Vintage Look for the Home
- Getting to Know Cottagecore
- Design Styles Making a Statement in 2022
- Trends on the Rise in 2022
- Endless Styles of White Finishes
- Vintage Style
- Scandinavian Style
- Black Finishes
- Gold Finishes
- Ask a Pro: Landscape Contractor
- Ask a Pro: Airbnb Host and Real Estate Agent
- Get the Global Look
- Emerging Style Trends
- Bedroom Ideas for Kids
- Luxe Kitchens to Love
- A Luxe Look in the Bathroom
- Spruce Up for the Holidays
- Retro Living
- Maximizing your Minimalist Design
- The Importance of Lighting in a Home
- Mother's Day Home Spa
- The Layered Look
- Crafting the Perfect Craft Room
- Design Report: IBS 2020, The Handmade Home
- Soft Contemporary
- 70's Glam
- Behr Color of the Year 2020
- Ashley Wilson's Favorite Fixtures
- Sleep Retreats for Holiday Guests
- Holiday Lighting Effects
- Dual Finishes
- Small Changes that Make a Big Difference
- Master your Mudroom
- 4 Outdoor Lighting Tasks To Tackle This Fall
- Before and After: A Drab Kitchen Brought to Light
- Getting your Outdoor Space Party Ready
- Summer Makeovers by Kichler®
- Keep Your Cool All Summer Long
- The Modern Victorian Style
- More Ways to Farmhouse
- Kichler Employee Profiles: Jennifer Burke